The year 1906 saw the opening of Columbus' first planned subdivision. On December 1, 1983, that subdivision became Columbus' second historic district.
At the turn of the century, the approximately twenty-five acres that became Waverly Terrace lay on the northern outskirts of what was then Columbus.
The Jordan Company, headed by G. Gunby Jordan, began surveying the land in 1905.
By 1929, most of the homes there had been completed and many of them survive in good condition to this day.
The architectural styles in Waverly Terrace are varied, including crafts-bungalow, Spanish mission, late Victorian, neoclassical and Georgian Revival, and utilizing materials of wood, stucco, and brick.
One of the chief architects working in the area, according to W. Presley Tutherow who served as the sparkplug for the National Register recognition, was Thomas W. Smith.
Tutherow and his family live in the home that Smith built at 2850 Hamilton Road, as seen in the top photo and showing the Confederate cannon that originally adorned the area.
The Jordan Company printed an elaborate fifty-four page brochure entitled, "The Home Book", touting the attractiveness of living in Waverly Terrace, coupled with the advantages of living in Columbus.